Sunday, February 17, 2008
Homestays
In Bahia we spent three of our nights in homestays. When I first heard that we were going to be doing this I did not think it was a good idea. I felt that it would be hard for the students to do homestays if they where not so long, because they would not build big relationships with their families. But soon the day came and I was very excited. We were dropped off at our host families right before the big meal of the day. Something smart because that way you have something to do when you get there. Shelby was very nervous. My mom showed us to our room, and then we went into my host sister’s room and chatted with her. I did most of the talking out of Shelby and I. My host sister’s name is Nereyda, which in an indigenous language means mermaid. I really like this name. My host mom’s name is Angelica like my best friend at home, and she was the sweetest lady ever. Like many kids in Bahia, once they reach high school they move to Encenada because the schools in Bahia are not the greatest. My host sister was moving at around the same time that we would leaving, and because it was Nereyda’s first time to Encenada, Angelica was going with her. She had just quit her job and was very worried about us liking her food because she was not used to cooking. No need to worry though, everything was great! On the second and third nights we all played loteria which is basically bingo together as a family. It was so fun. During the day we would usually meat the other kids at the basketball court and play some fun games of very loose version of basketball. I miss these afternoons when the sun would set as we played together, and cast a hazy golden light on all of our faces making them look especially warm and happy. I became good friends with some of the local kids. I miss them too. All in all I am happy about the homestays, and was sad to leave them. After homestays I became closer to Antonio’s daughter, and tried to go over to her house as often as I could. We would sit and talk for hours. She is my age and there was a lot to share with her about my home, and my family and friends. We talked about boys, and fashion, and other things that 14 year old girls talk about, and it was nice to have a break from the rest of the group, and talk to someone without being interrupted or having to do any work. I am so happy that I go this chance and I miss them all dearly!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I agree with you girl! i never had the chance to thank you for doing as much as you did for me and i am so happy for you that you made such good friends. You really pushed youraself and keep going even though you have been here once befor you are amazing k
-shelby
this is cool, i also liked my host famaly, but i dont think that i had much new friends in baja, but it was the same thing with me and elloit, i did very little talking and he talked their ear off but still the home stay was really nice.
Post a Comment