Friday, February 15, 2008

Climbing Mike's Peak

I have finally reached the top! 3,200 and something feet later! My water is now almost empty and I am in so much need of energy that even the nasty peanut butter tortilla that I have dragged to the top sounds tasty! I feel a sense of calm accomplishment. The view is so amazing from here. I can see as far as the silhouette of mainland Mexico over the dark blue Sea of Cortez, and over the entire bay; the maze of islands, the small town at my mountains feet, the birds that now fly below me, everything-even some clouds! It’s so pretty. As always, once I have done something big and drank plenty of water at it, nature comes calling. After I leave my mark I sit and expound all of my thoughts from the last four and half-hours of hard work. It was all worth it. Now I dread leaving this beautiful place but the sun begins to set as Edith, Erik, Bryan, Sarah, Angel and Antonio start to climb the mountain the other way. I say this because it was just as hard to climb down as it was up. With loose, crumbly rock, and three hundred-foot drops on either side of the narrow ridge we were walking on, cautiousness was crucial. 3 hours later we climb in the back of a truck and find a grocery store that sells ice cream. I am exhausted and back at camp I am out of it. I know I will sleep well tonight, but I am happy to say that climbing Mike’s Peak in Bahia de los Angeles was one of the hardest things I have accomplished.
Well thinking back on the hike I have concluded that sometimes it is better to go into something not knowing everything about it. All the adults told us was that we were going on a hike, and if I had known much more about it, like how long it was, I would have not done it. The only reason I was able to keep going was because I kept thinking the next hump on the ridge was the top, but in never was until the last one… duh! I also realized on the way back, it is interesting how short you imagine the beginning of the hike to be, because when you started you had so much more energy than on the way back. That was my day on Mike’s Peak.

2 comments:

Eric Gangloff said...

This is a great post, Maria! I enjoyed your account of the climb and espcially the phrase "a sense of calm accomplishment." That perfectly describes what it's like to summit a mountain. I only wish I could've been there with you!

--Eric

Erick Msumanje said...

Okay this is nice.